Monday, February 18, 2008

Kosovo Declares Independence

Well, here we are, 9 years after this nation's first plea for independence was answered with the ethnic cleansing of its citizens by a brutal ruling government (Serbia). Who can blame them for wanting to secede? I'm just sorry that Kosovo's recognition has taken so long. If the world had been smart enough to recognize them when they first asked for it, soooo many lives could have been saved- and my family in Belgrade wouldn't have had to endure NATO's bombing campaign. Why are governments so slow to respond? I wish I knew.
But I have to admit, I'm still worried...really worried about Serbia's reaction to Kosovo's new independence. They're declaring it illegal and who knows what sort of punishment they might yet unleash onto the Kosovar Albanians? And what kind of reaction this might provoke from the world's leaders? I hoped my family in Serbia will be ok.

No comments: